Sunday, April 10, 2011

3D Stills and Video on a $35 Budget

I've been a fan of the  Make Magazine and website for a few years and I recently mentioned the idea of making a 3D camera rig on the cheap to Senior Editor Mark Frauenfelder.  Note: Mark is also a regular contributor to one of my favorite blogs and daily addiction BoingBoing.net.  I've done some preliminary work based on two refurbished Logitech webcams that I was able to get for $25 and about $10 work of hardware from Lowes.  I'm hoping to submit a complete writeup to Make for possible publication.


Stereoscopic Frankenstein. 


Issues of parallax alignment are controlled by turning the turnbuckle.
Using the Stereo Multiplexer and Stereo Player software from Peter Wimmer, the two camera sources can be combined and displayed in a different 3D viewing formats.  Here a still from the first camera test in anaglyphic 3D (Red,Cyan glasses required).  I'm using my daughter's Barbie Pricess DVD glasses.


No comments:

Post a Comment